Apr 8, 2012

Haven't done a real post in ages.

I used to think a five-day break from blogging was bad enough. Now I haven't done a real post in months, and even my last post wasn't that satisfying. Gotta do something about this.

I don't blog about my life much anymore because no one really wants to know that kind of stuff, and it's all on Facebook anyway. So here's a break from the emo shiz.

For the record, since the A Levels I've taught at Crescent for two months with Geraldine and Rachel Louis for the MOE teaching internship, crashed my OG kid Jessica Chen's Orientation Group at Orientation 2012 (I pretended to be a J1 but they found me out!), had lots of fun going out with great friends, applied to about ten thousand universities. I'm relief teaching at AC now - teaching GP, but I told the ELL teachers that I really wanted to help out for ELL, so they've given me some awesome tasks like coming up with a list of slang that we Singaporean youths use today, defining them and classifying them into English / Singlish terms. The army boys are getting out of camp soon and I can't wait to see the Councillors again.

ACJC isn't a two-year journey - it follows you for life, and I love it. Was going to do a post about my two years in AC but it would take too long; maybe I'll get around to doing it when I'm free.

Right now, I'm really grateful to God for continuing to stand by me. People can say all they want about religion, but none of it matters because I know what it's like to feel and know God, and no one can take that away from me. Really grateful for my A Level results; I'm so undeserving. Although I didn't get into Pennsylvania, I'll just trust in what He has in store for me - after all, our definition of success usually isn't in line with His, but why hold on to ours when His is indefinitely greater? I've been accepted into NYU and I'm on the waiting list for Michigan; 4 out of 5 of my UK universities (Edinburgh, Nottingham, Exeter, East Anglia) have accepted me, and I'm just waiting for a reply from Warwick, the one that I've been dreaming about from the start. I do hope they'll find me and my writing worthy of a spot in their creative writing class.

I really wanted to go to the US for their liberal arts programme, but chances of that happening are slim now, I guess. At the same time, I know that the US universities probably only looked at my unworthy SAT scores, CCA records and very average Prelim results (not a single 'A'!), because the A Level scores were probably sent in too late for consideration. And judging by my scores, I wouldn't have expected any of them to take me in. On the other hand, my UK universities took into account my creative writing abilities and A Level results.

East Anglia's Creative Writing Admissions tutor asked the Undergraduate Admissions Officer to contact me to say that he was 'extremely impressed' with my work - and that they rarely contact an applicant about his work, but he wanted me to know how impressed he was with my portfolio. That email was such an uplifter - I had been struck with writer's block for the longest time, and I was beginning to give up hopes of writing in the future, and this email turned everything around. It was 3 in the morning and I couldn't sleep. I was so overcome with elation and gratitude.

The fact that Nottingham and East Anglia looked at my creative writing pieces and found me worthy of a spot in their universities, despite the fact that Nottingham's class size for the course is about 18, is more than enough encouragement for me. They looked at my passion and thought I deserved one of the few spots in their class, and that alone has been such a great reassurance. Now I just hope Warwick feels likewise.

Happy Easter! God has been so amazing to such an unworthy, ordinary person like me, seen all my imperfections and worst sides and rebellions against Him and given me so much regardless. He's given so much for us, and continues to give, and continues to love us even when we don't, so here's to a wonderful God to whom I want more than anything to belong.

My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
- Galatians 2:20

No comments: