Nov 3, 2016

song of solomon 2:10

"if I take the wings of the morning / and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, / even there Your hand shall lead me, / and Your right hand shall hold me"


they say life is either the greatest curse, or the greatest gift


the love of my life invites me to walk on the beach. the sun is a gentle kiss and the sky is bluer than the bluest eyes and there is only delight in my heart, a sparkly summer fizz the colour of strawberries. i laugh as i hold his hand and he tightens his grip, warm. he urges us to walk towards the waves. i am hesitant - you never know what the waves might bring - the blue-green water contains all sorts of strange and prickly things. but he wants to go. he happily urges me on. my heart gives way, fizzy bubbly, our path goes a little diagonal and our feet criss cross and the waves are lapping nearer, nearer, the white foamy bubbles tickle my toes i dip my left foot in

a flash of a sting, lightning it bites burns

shock

i stand still for a second, the pain cutting off all thought and processing abilities

he doesn't move he only stands there with his hand over his mouth but his eyes spell sadness and not surprise

"did you know this was going to happen?"

"i-"

"YOU KNEW"

"it was not my intention"

"YOU KNEW." i whimper, fear creeping over like a black slimy monster. i let go. i cannot touch his hand anymore, it is poison, i cannot trust him. i back away - further into the water - his hand remains where it was but i cannot reach out any longer -

a mighty wave rushes in and sweeps me off my feet. i stumble, my butt is on the floor, i am being dragged away by the blue-green tide i cannot feel my legs and everything is a foamy rush but i think his hand is holding on to my arm i can't be sure? i don't want his hand i don't want it

but the alternative is floating out at sea, alive but worse than death-

hold on to me


i am choking, sputtering, a flat sprawling mess on the ground. the waves still wash ashore, they slow down and they halt at the level of my nostrils, and they recede again. everything is numb but there is a different numb somewhere on my right arm. He will not leave me abandoned, He will not let me go.

No comments: